Amplified Bible (AMP)
19 He will fulfill the desires of those who reverently and worshipfully fear Him; He also will hear their cry and will save them.
He will fulfill the desires of those who reverently and worshipfully fear Him!
Do you have desires that as yet have not been fulfilled? I do.
I have meditated on this verse at various times throughout my adult life and wondered just how God would accomplish this awesome promise.
As human beings, we tend to DESIRE more than what we actually NEED!
- We DESIRE a bigger house, but do we NEED it?
- We DESIRE a higher paying job, but do we NEED it?
- We DESIRE the praise of men, but do we NEED it?
- We DESIRE, but do we NEED?
I think the key to God's promise is reverently and worshipfully fearing Him. Revering God means we demonstrate or express honor to Him. Worshipfully fearing Him, looks like "extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem" and doing so with awe. When we fear God, He deserves our awe defined as "an emotion variously combining dread, veneration, and wonder that is inspired by authority or by the sacred or sublime." (http://www.merriam-webster.com/)
When we behave as instructed in God's word, our focus turns from the material world to the eternal one. Suddenly, our desires change, because our heart is changed as we reverently and worshipfully fear Him. When God changes our heart, then desire follows.
- We DESIRE our family to run hard after God, they NEED Him.
- We DESIRE to perform excellently in whatever we do, to bring glory to Him.
- We DESIRE to speak eloquently, in order to speak boldly and clearly for One Man.
- We DESIRE to walk through life in righteousness, because we know it pleases Him.
- We DESIRE to know God intimately, because we know He is our strength.
Do you see the difference? I do.
Is there anything wrong with wanting a bigger house or more money, not really, unless the focus of that material desire trumps our focus on God. Remember how worship is defined... "extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem." Our we worshipping the material desire or our awesome God?
Holy Spirit You hear our cries and save us. You give us what we need and more. Your blessings overflow. Help us never to worship the blessings and material objects you pour out. We only want to worship You. All for the love of One Man, Jesus. AMEN!!!