Friday, March 21, 2008

Poetry Place "Sin Destroys, Teach My Children"

Warning: This post contains a graphic description of sin and may not be suitable for all readers.

Graphite Drawing
by Beautiful Grace

"Looking away [from all that will distract] to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the Source of our faith [giving the first incentive for our belief] and is also its Finisher [bringing it to maturity and perfection]. He, for the joy [of obtaining the prize] that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising and ignoring the shame, and is now seated at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2 (Amplified Bible)


It is in this season of the year that I especially remember the sacrifice my Sweet Jesus gave for me and for you. He took upon Himself ALL of our sin and ALL of our iniquity, ALL of our guilt and ALL of our shame. Jesus died for us simply because He loved us and wanted to provide a way for us to be with Him. His love was so great that through the beating and mocking and scourging, He continued to keep His eyes set on the joy before Him. I believe that joy was not only that He would be going to His Father in Heaven, but also the joy of knowing that you and I would have a choice to join Him there for eternity.

About eight years ago, the Holy Spirit revealed the sin I had hidden in my heart, sin that I didn't even realize was sin. Upon the revelation of my sinful heart, I sincerely prayed a dangerous prayer..."Lord show me my sin how You see it." Out of this prayer, the Lord showed me sin's true form and this poem was born. This is why He died for us.

I am forever grateful for His sacrifice!

"Sin Destroys, Teach My Children"

by Beautiful Grace


It appears harmless, innocent, beautiful,
Intriguing, exciting, powerful, even holy,
But sin is none of these things.

It lurks in the shadows of our minds,
Seeking those whom it may devour.

It comes as a thought pondered upon too long.
It disguises itself through the twisted speech
Of the Evil One.

When we allow It into our lives,
It eventually manifests Its true form.

Sin is darkness.
The serpent of old,
Beelzebub, himself, lives there.

He opens wide his mouth
And sinks his teeth deep into our flesh.
His bite transfers seeds of deception into our hearts,
Separating us from our Father.

The seeds sprout and when fully grown
Bring forth death.

"Sin destroys, teach my children,"
The Lord has commanded.

Holy Spirit root out the seeds of sin.
Pull out the weeds, Lord.
Remove Evil's deception from our hearts.

Make us pure,
Righteous,
And holy,
As You are holy.

1 comment:

Livin' Life said...

Powerful words!!! There is such a beauty in your writing even with the grit of truth about sin. We need to hear this and not allow ourselves to be deceived into thinking sin is anything else.