Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My Knight in Shining Armor

Art by Pat Marvenko Smith, copyright 1992. To order prints visit her "Revelation Illustrated" site, http://revelationillustrated.com.


"After that I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse [appeared]! The One Who was riding it is called Faithful (Trustworthy, Loyal, Incorruptible, Steady) and True, and He passes judgment and wages war in righteousness (holiness, justice, and uprightness)." Revelation 19:11 (Amplified Bible)

Last Wednesday, while standing by my kitchen sink, I thought about how most young girls and even women, dream of their "knight in shining armor." This gallant man would rescue the fair damsel in distress, and that distress usually manifested in the form of a heinously devious suitor or a fire-breathing, flesh-eating dragon.

Fiction...Fairytale...Fantasy!!!!

Jesus, the Courageous, Faithful Knight, constantly rescues me!!! He has rescued my spirit by providing eternal life. He washes my soul and causes it to be renewed and changed from glory to glory. He has rescued my physical body from various maladies throughout the years. Jesus is perfect in his knighthood!!!

I then thought of my husband, who throughout our years together, has "rescued" me multiple times, not from a devious suitor or from an imaginary reptilian, but from the situations and heartaches, this world (physical and spiritual) sometimes heaped upon me and sometimes I heaped upon myself.

Later that day, I returned home to find I had locked myself out of the house, yikes!!! (Last Wednesday's scorching heat made me feel like my makeup was melting off my face) I called Strongman, and to my rescue, he came riding in his white cube van. He even said something about coming to my rescue. (He didn't know what I was thinking earlier that day.)

That night after my bath, I noticed tiny red dots all over my feet and upon closer inspection noticed brown specs within the red...splinters! Strongman lovingly removed ten of the tiny skewers from both feet. (I'll explain about HOW I managed to get all of them in a posting I intend to compose soon.)

These incidents got me to thinking about the ALL the "rescues" Strongman has performed in the twenty-nine years I have known him. Strongman "rescues" my "psyche" by constantly encouraging me with his words...he tells me I'm beautiful (inside and out) and has thanked me for being a good mother to his sons. He thankfully eats what I put before him and never complains even if he doesn't really prefer what I have prepared. Most of all he never forgets to speak freely of his affection for me.

My knight has "rescued" me physically as well. After discharge from the hospital for brain surgery, I developed a fever, became weak, and constantly lost my balance. My knight helped me to the bathroom in the middle of the night and actually set out alarm in order to take my vital signs every four hours. When I was pregnant, he shaved my legs. After a breast biopsy, I became extremely weak due to a drug I had received and my knight was there to help me walk and assist me in getting a bath!!!

What I appreciate most about my knight is his spiritual growth the last several years. Every night, he prays over me before I go to sleep. A few years ago when I struggled with depression, he passionately prayed for me and actually saw a "dark force" leave me. There were times when anxiety would overtake me and my heartrate would increase dramatically, sometimes well past 100 beats per minute. Strongman would pray, and I could feel my heartrate decrease within minutes!!!

My knight, my strongman, my husband, rides to my rescue in a white van rescuing me over and over again. Thank You, Jesus, for my knight in shining armor!!!

2 comments:

Maria Matter said...

Beautiful Grace, thank you for sharing. Jesus always provides ways to rescue us, doesn't he?!! You are so blessed to have your Strongman!

Anonymous said...

So dear! What a difference a marriage built on Jesus and not this world can make.
And I guess I will have to hear about the red splinters tomorrow. :)

See you soon! :)