Sunday, June 10, 2012

Proverbs 1-3: Peace, My Help Comes From the Lord

Proverbs 3:1 & 2
Amplified Bible (AMP)

My son, forget not my law or teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments;

For length of days and years of a life [worth living] and tranquility [inward and outward and continuing through old age till death], these shall they add to you.


People want to live long and peaceful lives, but in my opinion, the lack of peace tormenting the soul is worse than a physical body battling illness or disease, which may kill the body. All of us desire peace, but not many find true Peace.

Some look for peace in other people, thinking that, “If he/she accepts me then I’m worthwhile and then my heart will be at peace.” Often these people lose their uniqueness, modifying themselves in order to be accepted by men. 



This is not Peace!

Some look for peace by self-medicating with drugs (prescribed or illegal, including alcohol), but this artificial peace numbs the soul , while clouding the brain. Problems are not solved and may intensify after the high of drugs wear off. 



This is not Peace!

Some go to fantasy for peace, attempting to escape the stark reality of their situation. Suddenly, reality becomes secondary as this one is drawn inward risking the loss of psychological health through depression, anxiety and may progress towards thoughts of suicide. 



This is certainly not Peace!

So, how do we find peace? 



“My son, forget not my law or teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments.”

The length of days mean nothing without peace and can only be found by obeying the Prince of Peace. Life is worth living when our soul is at peace. God’s Spirit flows unimpeded through a peaceful soul and that Spirit empowers us to keep His commandments. The process is cyclic meaning obedience begets peace, which begets more power to obey, which begets more peace.

How do we learn to obey at all times with all of our hearts? 



Ask Abba for His help. He hears the cry of our hearts. He wants to empower us and give us Peace!




Verse 1: 
When sorrows come and hope seems gone
You're the rock I rest upon
When waters rise and I can't breathe
You're the love that rescues me


Bridge: 
Out of the darkness I lift up my eyes
Unto the hills I feel my faith rise


Chorus: 
Maker of heaven, giver of life
You are my strength my song in the night 
My refuge my shelter 
Now and forevermore 
My help comes from the Lord


Verse 2:
When I'm broken scarred by sin
Death gives way to life again
When I suffer when I doubt
In you I'm free in you I'm found

Bridge
Chorus

2nd Chorus: 
Maker of heaven, giver of life
You are my strength
You're my refuge
Now and forevermore...

No comments: