Tuesday, June 5, 2012

1 Kings 1, 2, Psalm 37, 71, 94: His Gaze



Psalm 94:12, 13, & 19
Amplified Bible (AMP)


12 Blessed (happy, fortunate, to be envied) is the man whom You discipline and instruct, O Lord, and teach out of Your law,


13 That You may give him power to keep himself calm in the days of adversity, until the [inevitable] pit of corruption is dug for the wicked.


19 In the multitude of my [anxious] thoughts within me, Your comforts cheer and delight my soul!




Discipline...I am thinking about the discipline I received from my loving parents as a little girl.  I honestly can't say that I "felt" happy, fortunate or to be envied.  My discipline usually took the form of standing in a corner or a fly swatter on my butt.  But discipline is much more than physical punishment.  


http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/discipline


Probably, the discipline that hurt me the most was Dad peering at me through his bushy, eyebrow-framed eyes giving his stern disapproval in regards to my behavior.  His look hurt me not physically, but hurt me to the depths of my soul.  The man that holds me, sings over me, and loves me deeply is angry because of my disobedience!  I would burst into tears when my Dad looked at me like that.




Psalm 32:8
New King James Version (NKJV)


I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye.


My Abba also disciplines me by His gaze.  He teaches me what I need to do or not do, where to go or not go.  He doesn't only look at me with His flaming eyes of fire when I have mis-stepped, but His gaze instills courage when I am cowardly, strength when I am weak, perseverance when I am tired, and compassion when I am broken-hearted!


In the midst of discipline for sin, I don't "feel" happy, fortunate, or to be envied, just as I didn't with my earthly Dad all those years ago.  BUT in reality, my Abba loves me enough to discipline me with His gaze.  The God Who created the universe loves me enough to care if I am going the wrong way!!!  


I am happy, fortunate, and to be envied!!!

No comments: