Saturday, June 16, 2007

Tribute to My Father


Many will celebrate Father's Day tomorrow, which gives me the perfect opportunity to honor my Father in a special way. This post is dedicated to my Dad, “The Seven Trip Plumber,” aka, “The Singing Plumber.”



It was only a few years ago that I realized just how much my earthly Father mirrors my heavenly Father, and this revelation caused me to love my Dad more than ever.




When I was a little girl, my Dad would hold me and sing to me. I have beautiful memories of laying my ear on his chest (my cheek being tickled by his chest hair) as he sang, “She is Daddy’s Biggy Girl” and “Bye, Bye, My Biggy Girl.” Songs composed by a man who loves to sing, made me feel like I was the only one in his world during those precious minutes, and at that moment, I was. In my previous blog, “When Doves Coo,” I referred to Zephaniah 3:17 "The Lord your God is in the midst of you, a mighty One, a Savior (Who saves)! He will rejoice over you with joy; He will rest (in silent satisfaction) and in His love He will be silent and make no mention (of past sins, or even recall them); He will exult over you with singing." Just as my Heavenly Father sings over me, so did my earthly Father.




Some memories, not so fond, but still mirroring my Heavenly Father in a profound way, were the way my Dad looked at me when I was misbehaving. I could see disapproval in his bushy, eyebrow-framed eyes, and most times would burst into tears just because of his gaze. My Dad was able to guide me with his eyes. God tells us, “I will give you knowledge, teaching you the way to go; My eye will be your guide.” Psalm 32:8



Memories of how I would respond to my Father’s love make me laugh. When my Dad would come home from work, he would whistle. I would run as fast as I could, take a flying leap through the air, and he would catch me up into his arms. As I grew, he stopped whistling, because I was getting to heavy to catch. :) I'll whistle and they'll all come running. I've set them free--oh, how they'll flourish!” Zechariah 10:8



There were times my Father needed to pick up supplies for work. Sometimes, he would take me along with him for the long trek to Lewisburg. This was a special treat for me, because I knew he would buy me either candy or lunch, and most importantly, I was able to spend alone time with my Daddy. Just as I desired to spend time with my Dad, so Jesus instructs us to spend time alone with our Heavenly Father. "When you pray, go into a room alone and close the door. Pray to your Father in private. He knows what is done in private, and he will reward you." Matthew 6:6



Dad has five children, eleven grandchildren and eleven great-grandchildren and he sang to, gazed at, whistled for, and spent alone time with each one insuring that each one felt loved, special and like the only one in his world. "And Peter opened his mouth and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:..." Acts 10:34



Thank you, Dad!!! You’re awesome!!!!! I love you!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

SOOOOOOOO! BEAUTIFULL!!!
You made me cry. Your words are so prefect. I wish I could express myself like that.
Love
#1 Daughter of Cluck!!

Beautiful Grace said...

Thanks Sissy!!!

We have an awesome Dad!! We definitly are blessed!!!

Love you too!!!
#3 Daughter of Cluck

Kelli said...

Not-So-Classic came in the kitchen when I was reading your blog and laughed when he said, "It's Cluck!" :)

Beautiful Grace said...

Hi, Classic Mama,

Ask Not-So-Classic what Dad made him eat a couple of Christmas's ago. It was hilarious!!!

Blessings,
:)

Dianne said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Dad!hanismll