Monday, June 4, 2012

Psalm 111,112,113,114,115,116,117 and 118: Social Beings


Psalm 118:5 & 6
Amplified Bible (AMP)

5 Out of my distress I called upon the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free and in a large place.

6 The Lord is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?



The psalmist reminds himself in verse 6 to avoid fearing man. 



What exactly causes us to fear man? 


 The fear of man in a country that actively persecutes Christians through incarceration, torture, and death is understandable. 


 But why would we fear man, here in America?

Do we fear men because they talk behind our back, speaking lies and twisting truth? 


 I have

Do we fear men because they actively shun those who they deem as less then or sinful or struggling with a stronghold? 

I have


Writing this post now, seeing the words spread out before my eyes, convinces me of how ridiculous it is to fear man. Yet, in times past I have. 

Why?


We are relational beings. God created us that way. Scientists describe our need for human interaction and cooperation as social.

Anthropologist, Paula Gray, puts it like this,

"Human beings are social animals. Our lives depend on other humans. Human infants are born unable to transport or care for themselves. Their survival depends on another human's efforts. We develop and learn about the world around us through the filter of other people. Our connections to others are key to not only our survival, but also to our happiness and the success of our careers."

(http://www.aipmm.com/anthropology/2010/05/humans-are-social-animals-1.php)


Man's desire to be social is first seen in the Garden of Eden when God's recognizes Adam's need for human interaction.

Genesis 2:18
Amplified Bible (AMP)

18 Now the Lord God said, It is not good (sufficient, satisfactory) that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper (suitable, adapted, complementary) for him.


God fashioned us to desire intimate connection with others. This does not only apply to a marriage relationship, but extends into family relationships, friendships, and acquaintances. When we lack human interaction, our soul can be negatively affected.

This is exactly where fear gains entrance. We don't want to experience the emotional pain of loneliness, the lack of social interaction.

But we are not alone. 



Jesus is with us always even if we lack interaction with other human beings. I love this promise...

Hebrews 13:4-6
Amplified Bible (AMP)

4 Let marriage be held in honor (esteemed worthy, precious, of great price, and especially dear) in all things. And thus let the marriage bed be undefiled (kept undishonored); for God will judge and punish the unchaste [all guilty of sexual vice] and adulterous.

5 Let your [a]character or moral disposition be free from love of money [including greed, avarice, lust, and craving for earthly possessions] and be satisfied with your present [circumstances and with what you have]; for He [God] [b]Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor [c]give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [d][I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor [e]let [you] down ([f]relax My hold on you)! [[g]Assuredly not!]

6 So we take comfort and are encouraged and confidently and boldly say, The Lord is my Helper; I will not be seized with alarm [I will not fear or dread or be terrified]. What can man do to me?



He will NEVER leave us!!! He IS our Helper!!! Out of distress we cry out to Him, and He absolutely, positively answers us and responds by setting us free and in a large place!!! We are not restricted by fearing man!!!

Thank You, Lord, for understanding our social need and answering our cries. Thank You for the freedom You have given, Lord. We are free to love You and love others. Empower us to shun fear for You are ALWAYS with us!!! :) In Jesus' name, AMEN!!!







No comments: