Friday, June 1, 2012

1 Chronicles 23-25: Music, A Heavenly Language

1 Chronicles 25
Amplified Bible (AMP)

1 ALSO DAVID and the chiefs of the host [of the Lord] separated to the [temple] service some of the sons of Asaph, Heman, and Jeduthun, who should prophesy [being inspired] with lyres, harps, and cymbals. The list of the musicians according to their service was:

2 Of the sons of Asaph: Zaccur, Joseph, Nethaniah, and Asharelah, the sons of Asaph under the direction of Asaph, who prophesied (witnessed and testified under divine inspiration) in keeping with the king's order.



Music, musicians, and prophecy seem to go together. According to verse 1, these musicians are inspired by God to play their instrument. I believe a musician can be gifted prophetically to play. The resulting music sets the atmosphere for inspired speech/song, witnessing and testifying of the greatness of God. A person's soul engaged in this heavenly atmosphere is open to the influence of God's Spirit.


Music is a heavenly language.


Revelation 14:1-3
Amplified Bible (AMP)

1 THEN I looked, and behold, the Lamb stood on Mount Zion, and with Him 144,000 [men] who had His name and His Father's name inscribed on their foreheads.

2 And I heard a voice from heaven like the sound of great waters and like the rumbling of mighty thunder; the voice I heard [seemed like the music] of harpists accompanying themselves on their harps.

3 And they sang a new song before the throne [of God] and before the four living creatures and before the elders [of [b]the heavenly Sanhedrin]. No one could learn [to sing] that song except the 144,000 who had been ransomed (purchased, redeemed) from the earth.



In my professional capacity, I encourage young people to use music as a means of moderating unhealthy emotions, which can result in self-destructive behaviors. However, I emphasize the importance of choosing the music wisely. Music with positive, life-giving lyrics can assist a person in maintaining a healthy outlook. In contrast, negative, ungodly lyrics can have the opposite effect on a soul.

Personally, music has been a tool by which Holy Spirit has kept me in peace. Listening to worship/praise music kept my eyes focused on Jesus during the potential soul stirrings of a cancer diagnosis and its resulting surgical procedures. During that time, I listened to godly music almost 24 hours a day. Earphones pumped the heavenly language of music into my soul even as I slept. As a result, peace flooded my soul, because my soul was awakened through music to the beautiful Presence of my Prince of Peace.

Thank You, Lord for the gift of music and musicians. You made our souls to vibrate with the heavenly sounds of music. With all of my heart, with all of my soul, Lord, I will worship You using music as one tool to touch Your heart.  In the name of Jesus, AMEN!!!

No comments: