Saturday, April 7, 2012

Judges 1 & 2: Prove Me, Lord

Judges 2:20-22
Amplified Bible (AMP)

"So the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel; and He said, Because this people have transgressed My covenant which I commanded their fathers and have not listened to My voice,

I from now on will also not drive out from before them any of the nations which Joshua left when he died,

That through them I may prove Israel, whether they will keep the way of the Lord to walk in it, as their fathers kept it, or not."



I think of the process of proving gold when reading about how the Lord allowed the Godless nations of the Promised Land to stand in the midst of Israel. Is the gold of their earthly vessels pure or impure?

This holy act of proving gives Israel chance after chance to choose to worship God single-heartedly. Each time Israel turns away from God, the fire of oppression causes them to turn back to the One and Only. Each time they turn away, more fire, more oppression, more purification. The proving continues...

Each temptation gives us the opportunity to choose God, to show Him we love Him more than the things of this world. When barraged with temptation, we often feel worn out (at least I have felt that way).  BUT each time I rely on the power of His grace and chose God, I become stronger. The next time temptation comes, it is easier to say, "NO!" In allowing temptation to face us, God shows His wisdom. He is training up strong sons and daughters...warriors!


Skipping ahead to Judges 3:1 & 2...


Judges 3:1-2
Amplified Bible (AMP)

"NOW THESE are the nations which the Lord left to prove Israel by them, that is, all in Israel who had not previously experienced war in Canaan;

It was only that the generations of the Israelites might know and be taught war, at least those who previously knew nothing of it."




Thank You for teaching me to know war, because without the battle, I cannot be a strong warrior for You. All praise be to God Who stands high and above the battles and temptations of this world. Raise me up to You as I fight the good fight here on earth! In the wonderful and powerful name of Jesus, AMEN!!!

No comments: