Monday, April 2, 2012

Joshua 9-11: Commanding the Sun


Used by permission from

Joshua 10:10-13
Amplified Bible (AMP)
“And the Lord caused [the enemies] to panic before Israel, who slew them with a great slaughter at Gibeon and chased them along the way that goes up to Beth-horon and smote them as far as Azekah and Makkedah.
As they fled before Israel, while they were descending [the pass] to Beth-horon, the Lord cast great stones from the heavens on them as far as Azekah, killing them. More died because of the hailstones than the Israelites slew with the sword.
Then Joshua spoke to the Lord on the day when the Lord gave the Amorites over to the Israelites, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, be silent and stand still at Gibeon, and you, moon, in the Valley of Ajalon!
And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the nation took vengeance upon their enemies. Is not this written in the Book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of the heavens and did not hasten to go down for about a whole day.”

God heeded the request of Joshua in the battle against the Amorites by causing the sun to stand still until the victory over them was assured. But this wasn’t the only way God fought for Israel. He stirred the Amorites’ hearts infusing them with panic, then pummeled them with hailstones.
Wow, reading about how God acted on behalf of Israel, stirs confidence in my own life! Although Abba has not caused the sun to stand still or sent physical hailstones to conquer my spiritual enemies, He has given me the greatest weapons of all…love and peace!!!
Years ago during a particularly powerful worship service, I overflowed with His love. I called my "little" brother to tell him about the experience and stated, “Someone could come up to me and spit in my face, and I would kiss them;” I was totally serious in that statement.
It makes me think about Jesus, who not only endured being spat upon, but was mocked, whipped, beaten, and crucified all for the great love He felt for us!
Holy Spirit, infuse me with the magnitude of love that Jesus demonstrated in His life, His death, and His resurrection. Let that powerful love, drive away the darkness and cause eternity to be grasped by the hearts of those around me in the great and awesome and glorious name of Jesus! AMEN!!!

No comments: