Sunday, April 22, 2012

1 Samuel 21-24: Good's Power Over Evil

King Saul had entertained jealous thoughts; these thoughts affected his emotional state and ultimately resulted in the murderous actions of a man once chosen by God to lead Israel. Jealousy opened the door of Saul's heart to fear and rage. 

Saul well knew David's kingly destiny and feared him because of it. In those days, it was customary for the reigning king to kill the previous king and all of his relatives, but David was a man after the heart of God; he lived his life differently then the prescribed societal box of that time. David knew King Saul had been anointed by God. David also knew that his own destiny involved kingship, but David's heart was so knitted to God's heart that he regretted his act of cutting off a piece of Saul's robe. David spared the life of one who would have killed him in an instant. It was this act of godly goodness and mercy that caused the darkness of evil deception to be momentarily lifted from Saul's sight.

1 Samuel 24:17
Amplified Bible (AMP)

"He said to David, You are more upright in God's eyes than I, for you have repaid me good, but I have rewarded you evil."


For a moment, Saul's understanding was filled with God's truth, the truth that David repaid Saul's evil with good. David had a working understanding of good's power over evil.

Romans 12:21
Amplified Bible (AMP)

"Do not let yourself be overcome by evil, but overcome (master) evil with good."


The root of King Saul's fear was revealed in verses 20 & 21 of 1 Samuel 24.

"And now, behold, I well know that you shall surely be king and that the kingdom of Israel shall be established in your hands.

Swear now therefore to me by the Lord that you will not cut off my descendants after me and that you will not destroy my name out of my father's house."

In verse 22, David responded to King Saul's fear with more goodness.

"David gave Saul his oath; and Saul went home, but David and his men went up to the stronghold."

No wonder God's favor rested upon David! David's heart transcended the societal norms of the time.

My heart's desire is be so in tune with God that the traditions and societal norms of today do not prevent me from expressing God's heart in every situation, even if that situation involves a murderous enemy.

Lord, empower me with Your heart. Every situation is an opportunity for me to express You. I have a long way to go, but have come so far. Please don't allow fear to mute the expression of Your heart through me. In the Beautiful Name of Jesus, AMEN!!!


No comments: