Sunday, March 25, 2012

Numbers 21 & 22: Only What God Puts in My Mouth Will I Speak

I have had a lack of understanding in regards to Balaam. Initially, in verse 12, God tells Balaam not to go with the men of Moab and not to curse the Israelites, because they are blessed.

In reading this story, I had gotten the impression that God was fickle and hard to please, but I knew in my heart that was not the truth; I realized it must be my understanding that was faulty.

After a written dialog with my friend, Daughter of Encouragement, I understand now why God was not happy with Baalam. Baalam was all to eager to use his prophetic gift for his own gain. Actually, his heart attitude was seen even in the way he treated his faithful donkey. I also got the impression that Balaam was more than willing to go with the men as verse 20 & 21 reveals, even though he knew God was not thrilled about the idea. I’m not reading that the men called for him to go. I’m just seeing Balaam rose up and went with them.

“And God came to Balaam at night, and said to him, If the men come to call you, rise up and go with them, but still only what I tell you may you do. And Balaam rose up in the morning and saddled his donkey and went with the princes of Moab.” (emphasis mine)

It goes to show a gift, like prophesy, can be wonderful, but that good and wonderful gift can be used wrongly.

2 Peter 2:14-16
Amplified Bible (AMP)


14 They have eyes full of harlotry, insatiable for sin. They beguile and bait and lure away unstable souls. Their hearts are trained in covetousness (lust, greed), [they are] children of a curse [exposed to cursing]!


15 Forsaking the straight road they have gone astray; they have followed the way of Balaam [the son] of Beor, who loved the reward of wickedness.

16 But he was rebuked for his own transgression when a dumb beast of burden spoke with human voice and checked the prophet's madness.



Although, Baalam had the wrong heart motives, he did speak truth with the statement below.

Numbers 22:38
Amplified Bible (AMP)
“And Balaam said to Balak, Indeed I have come to you, but do I now have any power at all to say anything? The word that God puts in my mouth, that shall I speak.”


I like this verse. I will speak what God puts in my mouth! Let it be for all of us, in the name of Jesus. AMEN!!!

No comments: