Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Leviticus 5-7: Love IS More Powerful than Evil


Leviticus 5:3
Amplified Bible (AMP)
“Or if he touches human uncleanness, of whatever kind the uncleanness may be with which he becomes defiled, and he is unaware of it, when he does know it, then he shall be guilty.”

God provided Moses with the “does and don’ts" of sacrifice, and I believe most of the commands given by God were given for health and sanitation purposes. The Israelites didn’t have penicillin laying around to treat infections that could develop from unsanitary living.

Jesus came, in part, to do away with these necessary ritual laws, but today, do we still hold fast to the things Jesus has abolished by His own perfect sacrifice, like not touching a person we deem as unclean?

I have seen this Old Testament command twisted and played out before my eyes. Christians, empowered by God’s Spirit, fear that somehow the uncleanness (sin) of another person will contaminate them. I used to be one of those Christians who was deceived in to thinking that way.

Until one day, the Holy Spirit showed me how a lady (who most probably had schizophrenia), was treated by other Christians. Don’t get me wrong, there was an evil spirit involved…any disease whether psychological or physical comes from satan. But then I thought about the compassion of Jesus. He wasn’t afraid to touch those afflicted with His loving hand. In that moment, compassion welled up inside of me for this poor woman and instead of fear’s voice whispering, “If you touch her, you’ll get her demon,” I heard, “Love is more powerful than evil.” I put my arm around this lady to comfort her. She needed someone to show her the love of God, and I needed to break the power of fear in my life! I took a step in the path of my destiny that day. Little did I know that my future employment would be in a psychiatric hospital. :)

No matter how great the evil, LOVE is more powerful!!!!

No comments: