Wednesday, May 30, 2012

2 Samuel 24, 1 Chronicles 21 & 22 and Psalm 30: His Beautiful Grace

1 Chronicles 21
Amplified Bible (AMP)

1 SATAN [an adversary] stood up against Israel and stirred up David to number Israel.

2 David said to Joab and the rulers of the people, Go, number Israel from Beersheba to Dan, and bring me the total, that I may know it.

3 And Joab answered, May the Lord multiply His people a hundred times! But, my lord the king, are they not all my lord's servants? Why then does my lord require this? Why will he bring guilt upon Israel?


I believe David's act of numbering Israel has to do with relying on the strength of man. By numbering Israel, David is, in effect, trusting in the "horses and chariots of man" rather than God Most High. Joab knew David was wrong in committing this act, and deep down, I think David knew too.


1 Chronicles 21
Amplified Bible (AMP)

7 And God was displeased with this [reliance on human resources], and He smote Israel.

Why did David commit an act that he knew would displease God? Why do we sometimes do, think, or say things, that we know deep in our hearts displease God?


1 Chronicles 21
Amplified Bible (AMP)

8 And David said to God, I have sinned greatly because I have done this thing. But now, I beseech You, take away the hateful wickedness of Your servant; for I have done very foolishly.


But David, a man after God's own heart, felt the conviction wrought by his transgression. He realized his foolishness and confessed his sin to God.

When we realize our foolishness, we too can confess to God. He is merciful and does understand our weak frame, however, there may be consequences to our indiscretion. These consequences are the inevitable result of sin, and that's exactly why God is "anti-sin." Abba loves us so much that He does not want us to suffer the consequences of indiscretion.

Does any good come out of our indiscretion? Abba can bring good out of even the most vile sin. One good is that we learn all over again that we CANNOT live this life on earth in our own strength! Moment by moment, we NEED His grace, His unmerited favor and power to stand against the wiles of the evil one.

My screen name is Beautiful Grace. God calls me by this name because His grace is beautiful in me. I have required much of His grace in my almost 48 years of life on this earth. The wonderful thing is that He has poured grace out in and through me!  He has not held back, because He knows how much I NEED it!!!


 

James 4:5-7
Amplified Bible (AMP)

5 Or do you suppose that the Scripture is speaking to no purpose that says, The Spirit Whom He has caused to dwell in us yearns over us and He yearns for the Spirit [to be welcome] with a jealous love?

6 But He gives us more and more grace ([a]power of the Holy Spirit, to meet this evil tendency and all others fully). That is why He says, God sets Himself against the proud and haughty, but gives grace [continually] to the lowly (those who are humble enough to receive it).

7 So be subject to God. Resist the devil [stand firm against him], and he will flee from you.


God's grace is given to those humble enough to receive it, but He stands against the proud.

Those who are humble admit their great need for grace. Those with proud hearts deny they have even sinned at all or blame their sin on others.

Lord, empower me with Your grace to stand firm against the evil one and the humility to come to You when I fall. In the wonderful name of Jesus!!! AMEN

No comments: