Wednesday, May 2, 2012

1 Chronicles 3-5: Keep Me From Evil


1 Chronicles 4:10
Amplified Bible (AMP)


10  Jabez cried to the God of Israel, saying, Oh, that You would bless me and enlarge my border, and that Your hand might be with me, and You would keep me from evil so it might not hurt me! And God granted his request.




I like the Amplified Version for verse 10b, "...and that Your hand might be with me, and You would keep me from evil so it might not hurt me! And God granted his request."


Although many focus on verse 10a, "Jabez cried to the God of Israel, saying, Oh, that You would bless me and enlarge my border, and that Your hand might be with me,..." I am touched by the second half of the verse.


I have written in the margin of my Bible, "Keep me from evil!"  That prayer was not the only time a child of God has cried out with this request.  I think of Matthew 6:13 where Jesus, Himself prays...


"And lead (bring) us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen."


The Lord is our Shepherd, and a Good Shepherd is He!  A good shepherd steers his flock away from "evil" which may take the form of a ravenous carnivore.  How much more would our Perfect Shepherd lead us away from evil dangers, which would gobble up our soul?


Jabez cried out for God to bless him and enlarge his borders (possessions), yes.  I want God to bless me too, But never forget Jabez also wanted to be kept from evil as well.  I personally feel the latter request was paramount to the former.



Lord, You are my Shepherd.  You lead me perfectly.  I trust You to meet and exceed the needs that I have, but more importantly, to keep me from evil.  I trust You!!!

No comments: