Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Genesis 48-50: Greater Good From Lesser Evil




Israel (Jacob) had died and Joseph’s brothers were scared, scared that now Joseph would enact revenge upon them for the horrible way they had treated him in the past. Just as the brothers couldn't see the heart of Joseph as they sold him into slavery many years before, they still couldn't see his present heart. Joseph could have used his influence to seek revenge, but forgiveness prevailed.



Genesis 50:20 “As for you, you thought evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring about that many people should be kept alive, as they are this day.”

Joseph’s attitude mirrors the heart of Jesus. Jesus laid down his life for those who had sinned against him and releases eternal life for all who will receive it. Joseph lays down vengeance and releases forgiveness. What a beautiful picture!
Could it be the evil that has been perpetuated against us has some greater, far-reaching purpose, redeeming many?
If you have trouble forgiving, I suggest you watch Mel Gibson's "Passion" movie.  Years ago, I was struggling with the anger and hurt of mistreatment and felt led to watch the movie.  Seeing the abuse and mistreatment of Jesus caused me to rethink my light afflictions.  I was on my knees in tears asking for forgiveness, then prayed passionately for those who wounded me.  In this case, prayer was the greater good. 
Abba, empower us with the heart of forgiveness, knowing that there may be a greater good coming from the lesser evil. In the name of my Beautiful Jesus, AMEN!!!

No comments: