Saturday, February 4, 2012

Genesis 41& 42: Create a Clean Heart


Genesis 41:46 “Joseph [who had been in Egypt thirteen years] was thirty years old when he stood before Pharaoh king of Egypt. Joseph went out from the presence of Pharaoh and went [about his duties] through all the land of Egypt.”

What jumped out at me in the above verse was Joseph’s age, 30 years old. Priests were not allowed to begin their service until that age. Speaking prophetically, Joseph’s role as one who distributes food to the hungry, paints a picture of a priest who administers “milk,” “bread,” and “meat” to the spiritually hungry by speaking forth the word of God.

Genesis 42:21,22
“And they said one to another, We are truly guilty about our brother, for we saw the distress and anguish of his soul when he begged us [to let him go], and we would not hear. So this distress and difficulty has come upon us.
Reuben answered them, Did I not tell you, Do not sin against the boy, and you would not hear? Therefore, behold, his blood is required [of us].”

My heart goes out to Joseph’s brothers in these verses. They have been suffering the guilt of their sin for about 13 years. I am so thankful that the Holy Spirit restores a clean heart after we fall to sin. I know what guilt feels like; it definitely in NOT a place in which to live.
I hear a song, this beautiful song rising up in my heart. I need to sing it right now. Thank You, Jesus!!!

“Create in me a clean heart, oh God and renew a right spirit within me. Create in me a clean heart, oh God and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy Presence, and take not thy Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of my salvation. And renew a right spirit within me.” (from Psalm 51)




No comments: