Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Job 29-31: Jesus is Our Justification


Job spends a great deal of energy in these chapters justifying himself, listing all the righteous acts he has performed. Job reasons, “How could God be punishing me when I did x, y, and z.” (Beautiful Grace Version)
I’m sure Job did all the wonderful things he spoke of, but doing wonderful things does not automatically assure a person of blessings free from heartache.  Being righteous doesn't mean rain for the crops or that no floods will destroy those crops.  Righteousness doesn't insulate a person's health and well being against disease.
Job started walking a thin line when he started magnifying his worth by the good things he had done.
Job is worthy because he turned his heart towards the Father who designed him. He is loved by his Creator no matter how the circumstances surrounding him are interpreted by his accusing friends and community.
The Bible says in Isaiah 64:6a
“For we have all become like one who is unclean [ceremonially, like a leper], and all our righteousness (our best deeds of rightness and justice) is like filthy rags or a polluted garment;”
Jesus is our justification. When we attempt to justify ourselves, the robe of righteousness freely given to us by Jesus fades, and our filthy rags become clear.
Lord, their have been times during great spiritual pressure when I have tried to justify myself, protect myself from the Accuser of the Brethren though Your very own people; forgive me. Cause faith to rise up in me in order to trust in Your protection, Your righteousness covering me, Your Holy Spirit empowering me to accomplish righteous acts, not for righteousness sake, but because of Your great love flowing through me. In Jesus name, AMEN!!!

No comments: