Monday, January 30, 2012

Genesis 27-29: Judging the Weight of Sin?








In reading the last few chapters of Genesis, I caught myself judging between types of sin-Esau’s desiring fleshly things above eternal ones and Jacob’s deceptive means of obtaining a blessing. Both brothers were guilty of sin, and sin is sin in the eyes of our Holy Father.

Then I think of Rebekah who favors one son over the other, who encourages Jacob in the devious plan that she concocted. Again, my heart battles a judgmental attitude, then Holy Spirit calls my attention to previous verses read.

Genesis 25:22 “[Two] children struggled together within her; and she said, If it is so [that the Lord has heard our prayer], why am I like this? And she went to inquire of the Lord.

23The Lord said to her, [The founders of] two nations are in your womb, and the separation of two peoples has begun in your body; the one people shall be stronger than the other, and the elder shall serve the younger.”

God gave Rebekah a heads up regarding the destinies of her children. Could it be when Rebekah heard that Issac was preparing to bless Esau, she panicked? She knew that God had told her Esau would serve Jacob, so she decided to help God fulfill Jacob’s destiny; she devised the plan to fool Issac into blessing him.

I don’t agree with what Rebekah and Jacob did, but I do understand how panic can cause a person to act rashly.

Lord, empower us not to act rashly, but to act and react with the mind of Christ at all times. AMEN!!!

No comments: