Sunday, January 29, 2012

Genesis 25 & 26: No Earthly Stew



Esau Selling His Birthright



Genesis 25:29-34
“Jacob was boiling pottage (lentil stew) one day, when Esau came from the field and was faint [with hunger].
And Esau said to Jacob, I beg of you, let me have some of that red lentil stew to eat, for I am faint and famished! That is why his name was called Edom [red].
Jacob answered, Then sell me today your birthright (the rights of a firstborn).
Esau said, See here, I am at the point of death; what good can this birthright do me?
Jacob said, Swear to me today [that you are selling it to me]; and he swore to [Jacob] and sold him his birthright.
Then Jacob gave Esau bread and stew of lentils, and he ate and drank and rose up and went his way. Thus Esau scorned his birthright as beneath his notice.”

It’s hard to believe that Esau would be willing to sell his birthright for a pot of stew. Although baffled regarding the impulsive action of Esau, the Holy Spirit reminds me of the times when flesh has induced impulsivity in my own life, yielding less than favorable consequences.

Hebrews 12:15-17 
“Exercise foresight and be on the watch to look [after one another], to see that no one falls back from and fails to secure God’s grace (His unmerited favor and spiritual blessing), in order that no root of resentment (rancor, bitterness, or hatred) shoots forth and causes trouble and bitter torment, and the many become contaminated and defiled by it–
That no one may become guilty of sexual vice, or become a profane (godless and sacrilegious) person as Esau did, who sold his own birthright for a single meal.
For you understand that later on, when he wanted [to regain title to] his inheritance of the blessing, he was rejected (disqualified and set aside), for he could find no opportunity to repair by repentance [what he had done, no chance to recall the choice he had made], although he sought for it carefully with [bitter] tears.”

Reading this passage reminds me again, that I can do NO THING without Holy Spirit’s assistance.
Empower me, Holy Spirit, to keep the finish line of eternity with Jesus in the forefront of my mind. Truly, this world has nothing for me. I receive the grace You are already pouring out in me and through me. No pot of earthly stew will cause me to give up my birthright, my inheritance, which can be collected here and now in this mortal realm…to walk through life righteous, to lay hands on the sick with resulting healing, to speak God’s heart bringing life to the broken, to burn with passion for Jesus, no matter the circumstances in which I find myself, to love all people as Jesus loves all. AMEN!

2 comments:

momto8 said...

I love your prayer!! I also wonder many times how much he wanted that stew..
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

Beautiful Grace said...

Thanks, Momto8!

My desire is to be an encourager like my Jesus. Be blessed!!!