Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Zechariah 4: Who Are You, O Great Mountain of Human Obstacles?

Mountains...everyone experiences obstacles in life!  Unpaid bills, strained relationships, employment stressors, health issues and emotional upheaval are ALL examples of mountains or obstacles, which may block our life's path.  So it is today the same as it was when Zechariah penned this encouragement.

Zechariah 4:6-7

Amplified Bible (AMP)
Then he said to me, This [addition of the bowl to the candlestick, causing it to yield a ceaseless supply of oil from the olive trees] is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit [of Whom the oil is a symbol], says the Lord of hosts.
 
For who are you, O great mountain [of human obstacles]? Before Zerubbabel [who with Joshua had led the return of the exiles from Babylon and was undertaking the rebuilding of the temple, before him] you shall become a plain [a mere molehill]! And he shall bring forth the finishing gable stone [of the new temple] with loud shoutings of the people, crying, Grace, grace to it!

So there you have it, folks!  Whether leading a people out of captivity and rebuilding a temple or plowing through the life obstacles of today, what we need is oil, the oil of the Holy Spirit. 

His Spirit empowers us to maintain a healthy focus.  We focus on God, Who created the universe, Who knows no bounds,  Whose power is unmatched, rather then being distracted by the earthly "mountain" in our path. 

Often the very solution to transforming a mountain into a molehill is the proper perspective.  We may need to "reframe" the mountain.  In other words, we need to look at the obstacle or situation with a positive mindset rather than a negative one. 


A negative mindset set might say...

Why do bad things always happen to me?

I take two steps forward, then get pushed back ten steps.

I just can't take anymore.


Reframing the mountain and looking at it positively might sound something like...

Life is filled with bad things, they are bound to impact me at some time or another.

When I feel the pushback of life's circumstance, I will fall to my knees and worship.  God can take the pushbacks and use them to strengthen my spiritual muscles.

I "feel" like I can't anymore, but the truth is God will NEVER allow anything to touch me that I cannot handle with Him.



Holy Spirit, empower us to always reframe difficult situations seeing them through Your eyes and not our feelings.  Help us to identify the positive and be thankful for all You have done and provided.  In Jesus' name, AMEN!







 
 
 

 

No comments: