Sunday, January 26, 2014

Jeremiah 35-37: You Choose: Ignore It, Burn It or Embrace It

Jeremiah 36:22-24
Amplified Bible (AMP)


22 Now it was the ninth month, and the king was sitting in the winter house, and a fire was burning there before him in the brazier.

23 And [each time] when Jehudi had read three or four columns [of the scroll], he [King Jehoiakim] would cut them off with a penknife and cast them into the fire that was in the brazier, until the entire scroll was consumed in the fire that was in the brazier.

24 Yet they were not afraid, nor did they rend their garments—neither the king, nor any of his servants who heard all these words.



The scroll referenced in verse above refers to the prophetic word given by Jeremiah.  Obviously, the king had little regard for what God had to say through Jeremiah.   
 
Can you imagine cutting pages of the Bible apart and tossing the shreds into the fire? Although Jeremiah's word had not yet been "canonized" into what we now know as the Bible, it still was God's Word.  Before we go and criticize King Jehoiakim for committing sacrilege, let's search our own hearts.

How many times did we hear God's word through a dream, but ignored it chalking it up to eating pizza the night before.  Why do we do that?  Is it that what God has to say steps on our toes?  Or does the reality of an all powerful, omnipotent Being interacting with His kids scare us?  

 God loves us!  Of course, He will correct our missteps. Of course, He desires to be involved with our lives. 

I am learning to pay attention to God's voice in whatever form it comes.  We need to learn to embrace what our loving Father has to say.

I had a very awesome experience with hearing God's voice this morning while the pastor prayed, "The life of God is in you."

Immediately, I remembered the dream I had last night, which had caused me to awake with a yelp.

A man's voice repeatedly told me "You're going to die and you will be alone in the dark. There is no heaven.  The light people see as they are dying are the neurons of the brain firing for the last time.  After death, there is nothing but darkness."

Pretty intense, huh?

I love how Abba handled this apparent assault of the evil one as I slept...I couldn't remember the dream.  Abba was protecting me!!! 

Because the Lord sometimes warns through dreams, I prayed, "If there is something You want me to know then make it clear." 

To be honest, I had forgotten about the dream and my prayer until the pastor's prayer.  When I heard the words, "The life of God is in you," suddenly, I remembered the dream.  Instead of the fear I felt last night, I felt overwhelming confidence and life!  God, the God of the universe, His life is in me!!!  If my body lives, He lives in me!  If my body dies, I live with Him!!!

I felt like the Lord said that He wanted me to hear His life word first, before He restored the memory of my dream.  I'm thankful!!!

When God speaks a word through a dream or a pastor or the Bible, we have  choice.  We can ignore it, burn it or embrace it.  Remember, even hard words from our loving Father bring life!!!

Father, help us to hear Your voice alone.  Empower us to embrace Your words.  The evil one may attempt to scare or intimidate us, but we won't listen to the voice of a stranger.  We hear.  We obey.  We follow You.  In the name of Jesus, AMEN!!!

No comments: