Friday, February 20, 2015

Daniel 10-12: I Set My Mind and Heart to Understand

Daniel 10:5-6
Amplified Bible (AMP)

I lifted up my eyes and looked, and behold, a man clothed in linen, whose loins were girded with pure gold of Uphaz.
His body also was [a golden luster] like beryl, his face had the appearance of lightning, his eyes were like flaming torches, his arms and his feet like glowing burnished bronze, and the sound of his words was like the noise of a multitude [of people or the roaring of the sea].
 
 
 
BEAUTY.  POWER.  PURITY. 
 
BRILLIANCE. 
 
 CONVICTION.
 
RESOLVE. 
 
AWESOME. 
 
OVERWHELMING. 
 
INSPIRING.  COMFORTING.  CONFIDENCE. 
 
HOLY. 
 
WORSHIP. 
 
 
 
The above description of Jesus description is one of my favorites!  In the presence of this Awesome Being, how could we be afraid?  How could our direction be uncertain?  Why would we gaze at our earthly troubles or trials?  Yet...
 
 
Daniel 10:7
Amplified Bible (AMP)
 
And I, Daniel, alone saw the vision [of this heavenly being], for the men who were with me did not see the vision, but a great trembling fell upon them so that they fled to hide themselves.
 
 
Although the men with Daniel did not "see" Him, they sensed His power, His Presence.  They responded by running away, hiding themselves.  Even Daniel had a physical reaction to His Presence.  He became pale and weak and dropped to his face in response to "the angel's" words. 
 
 
Daniel 10:8-10
Amplified Bible (AMP)
 
So I was left alone and saw this great vision, and no strength was left in me, for my fresh appearance was turned to pallor; I grew weak and faint [with fright].
Then I heard the sound of his words; and when I heard the sound of his words, I fell on my face in a deep sleep, with my face [sunk] to the ground.
10 And behold, a hand touched me, which set me [unsteadily] upon my knees and upon the palms of my hands.
 
 
In studying Daniel 10:12, I see a pattern in the life of Daniel that preceded the appearance of Jesus.
 
 
Mind
 
Thoughts
 
Heart
 
Emotions
 
Humility
 
God's Response
 
 
 
Daniel 10:12
Amplified Bible (AMP)
 
12 Then he said to me, Fear not, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your mind and heart to understand and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come as a consequence of [and in response to] your words.
 
 
I think the pattern of Daniel is wise and applicable for us today.  It's so important to actively monitor our own thoughts, because our thoughts are the first step in the sequence leading to a "God encounter."  If the evil one can taint our thoughts with the "cares" of this world, he can distract us from meditating on the Lord.  Thoughts fan the flames of our love for Him.  Humility is imperative, because without it, pride overtakes us and God resists pride.
 
I don't believe God encounters can be limited to a formula, but I do believe that the Word of God was written for us as a pattern for living our lives.  God does what He will do.  He is God!!!  But we also do our part empowered by grace.
 
Jesus, we all have become distracted and lost sight of Your awesomeness!  I ask that Your Spirit would remind us of Your beauty and power.  Remind us that we "find ourselves in You."  In Your Brilliant Name, Jesus!  AMEN!!!
 

No comments: