Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Isaiah 49-53: Made Whole

Isaiah 53:5

Amplified Bible (AMP)
But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our guilt and iniquities; the chastisement [needful to obtain] peace and well-being for us was upon Him, and with the stripes [that wounded] Him we are healed and made whole.

A pencil drawing of Jesus hangs on my kitchen wall and underneath it the words of Isaiah 53:5 stand out.  It is God's promise to us...

  • He was wounded for our transgressions
  • He was bruised for our guilt and iniquities
  • He bore chastisement so we could have peace and well-being in our souls
  • His wounds pave the way for our healing and wholeness


Never had these words been so real to me as when I was extremely ill after having developed a post-surgical infection.  High fever, no appetite, extreme weakness overtook my body, but more concerning to me was the assault on my soul.  I had had peace consistently through the turmoil of a breast cancer diagnosis and subsequent bilateral mastectomy, but this infection was different.  Not only was it negatively impacting my body, but it was tempting my soul to give in to defeat.  
I remember garnering enough strength to walk to the kitchen.  Sitting down and near tears, I caught sight of...

"But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our guilt and iniquities; the chastisement [needful to obtain] peace and well-being for us was upon Him, and with the stripes [that wounded] Him we are healed and made whole."

Suddenly, peace filled my soul and a new resolve rose up.  The infection remained, but my all was well with my soul!
Soul assaults will come in various ways, but what remains eternal is God's promise.  What Jesus endured paves the way for us to be made whole in body, in soul and in spirit!

How awesome is that?

Thank You, Lord, for giving Yourself up for us.  We receive what You have obtained for us in our bodies for healing, in our souls for peace and in our spirits for a cleansing of transgressions.  Empower us to stand on Your promises no matter what circumstances present themselves.  In the great and awesome name of Jesus, AMEN!!!

No comments: