Sunday, September 30, 2007

Bob Sorge: "BURNING BEFORE HIS THRONE MEANS STANDING IN THE ALL-CONSUMING FIRE"

Dear friends,

Be blessed by this prophetic post. Bob Sorge so beautifully describes what my heart longs for. The last few years, my continuing prayer has been, "Let my worship burn for the world to see." I want to be a never-ending "flame of fire" ministering to my Jesus!!!

In the fiery love of Jesus,
Beautiful Grace

"His 'consuming fire' will burn away all from your life, until all that's left is love itself."

My prayer life was transformed when I discovered that prayer is the glorious adventure of an unfolding, growing, reciprocating relationship with the living God of the universe. Nothing excels the glory of burning with holy longing before a burning God who blazes with fiery passions for weak but lovesick worshipers.

I didn't stumble or wander accidentally into this discovery; it was a divine set-up. I was ambushed. In my case, a personal trial has been used by God to totally rewrite my spiritual DNA, redirect the course of my life, and bring me to the threshold of a relationship that I always longed for but didn't know how to find. The calamity made me absolutely desperate for God. I began to scour God's Word like a starving man trying to stay alive. It wasn't the fiery trial that changed me; it was the desperate pursuit of God in the trial that changed me.

There are two Scriptures that define my place before God in my present season. The first is Deuteronomy 10:8, "At that time the LORD separated the tribe of Levi to bear the ark of the covenant of the LORD, to stand before the LORD to minister to Him and to bless in His name, to this day." I now see my primary calling as being that of standing before God and ministering to Him. No great agenda, no mighty ambitions, no rush to move on to the next thing. I just stand before Him and love Him.

The second Scripture is Revelation 4:5, "Seven lamps of fire were burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God." When I saw the phrase, "burning before the throne," my heart cried out, "Lord, I want those same words to characterize my life. I too want to stand before You and burn before Your throne!"

I have discovered who I am. I am a holy one (not because of who I am, but because of where I am) who stands before the throne of The Holy One, gazes upon His beauty and majesty, the fire that flows from His throne (see Daniel 7:10) flowing into my heart, setting me ablaze with the same fiery passions that kindle God's heart, and now my love flows back to Him like a volcanic eruption as my heart responds to the love He is now igniting in my heart (see Romans 5:5).

I will burn before Him for eternity. I will always stand here. By His grace, I shall never be moved. May nothing of this world or of hell's assault ever deter me from this holy stand before His throne. I've tasted of the ultimate privilege of burning before His throne, and I'm ruined for anything less.

Simply Stand

There are seasons when God calls us to simply stand. We might prefer the adrenalin of chasing down a great cause, but sometimes God calls us to stop all activity and just stand. Sometimes He gives us no choice. Occasionally, circumstances will constrain us beyond our ability to steer a different course, and we become prisoners to the chains that bind us to God's will. Incapable of extricating ourselves and moving on to the next thing, all we can do is stand and burn in holy love for our King.

It is commonly said, "Don't just stand there, do something!" When circumstances in our lives are careening out of control, the great temptation--when you don't know what to do--is to do something. "God can't steer a stationary vehicle," they say, "So start moving out on something, and let God direct your course."

That may be the way to go in some situations, but the Lord has been leading me in a different path. He inverted that common saying and gave it to me this way, "Don't just do something, stand there!" It came like this: "When you don't know what to do, don't just do something! Wait on Me, stand before Me, minister to Me, until. Until I speak. When I speak to you, then you can move out in response. But until I speak, just stand there."

I've been gripped recently by the phrase, "the fire never says, 'Enough!'" (Proverbs 30:16). There is a fire in God that is never satisfied; and there's a fire in me, placed there by God, that is never satisfied. The fire in me is constantly reaching out for more of God; and the fire in Him responds by desiring more of me in return. Eternity will be the unending adventure of ever giving more of our hearts in fiery love to Him, as He eternally unfolds more of His glorious beauty to us.

Do something dangerous. Get alone with God! His "consuming fire" will burn away all from your life, until all that's left is love itself. This is our God, "Who makes...His ministers a flame of fire" (Hebrews 1:7).

He'll make you one, too, if you'll let Him.

Bob Sorge
Oasis House Ministries
Email:
oasisdesk@aol.com

No comments: