Saturday, May 16, 2015

Esther 1-5: The Hadassah Connection

At times the Lord speaks clearly in a still small voice.  At other times, He communicates using symbolism to stir curiosity.  Today, He is speaking symbolically.

I have been studying the Bible chronologically, and  today's reading begins with the book of Esther.  In Hebrew, Esther means Hadassah, which means "myrtle" when translated into English.

הדסה
What are the odds that I would be reading a book whose name means "myrtle" while I am vacationing in Myrtle Beach? I do not believe in coincidence.  I believe God is speaking, but sometimes discovering what He saying takes a little research.


Proverbs 25:2
Amplified Bible (AMP)

It is the glory of God to conceal a thing, but the glory of kings is to search out a thing.


The scientific name for the myrtle plant is Myrtus communis or Greek Myrtle.  It is an evergreen, an upright shrub grown for its fragrant foliage and ability to withstand clipping. A perfect plant for a topiary or hedge. From midsummer to early fall, it produces solitary, white flowers which are followed by purplish-black berries. It may grow to 10 feet tall, but there are many dwarf varieties available. Grow in moist, well-drained soil that is moderately fertile. Full sun is best (Backyardgardener.com).



According to Judaic symbolism, the myrtle has smell but no taste, meaning a person who performs good deeds without the learning of the Torrah.  Myrtle corresponds to the eyes, enlightenment (Judaism 101:Sukkot).

I feel like God is reminding me that I am to continue being taught by His Spirit so that I smell and taste good to the Lord.  It's a continual maturation process from one level of glory to the next.

As Hadassah was obedient to Mordecai, I am to continue in obedience to the leading of His Spirit, which enlightens my understanding and causes me to see people and situations the way He does.


Esther 2:10
Amplified Bible

Esther had not made known her nationality or her kindred, for Mordecai had charged her not to do so.


No matter the season, the myrtle an evergreen plant retains its fragrant leaves reminding me that whatever situation arises, my fragrance (response) is to be sweet and lovey.  The Lord has given me the ability to withstand clipping. He prunes and trims areas in me that do not bear fruit allowing my roots to strengthen and deepen. 

Deeper and stronger roots increase the health of a plant enabling it to withstand times of drought.  More abundant fruit also result.  So it is with me.  Difficult times, dry seasons in my life have increased the quality of my roots in the Lord.  My fruit...love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self control ripen and become a blessing for those around me to taste. 

Finally, just as God was aware of Haman's plot to annihilate His people in Persia, He is aware of any plot the evil one sets against me.  He has my back.  He is my guard.  He knows where I sleep and the specific location of my vacation.  :)

Although, I believe today's insight was for me, you can be assured that God is aware of your location and circumstances.  He will protect and lead you too if you let Him. 

Blessings to you my friends!

No comments: