Wednesday, April 18, 2012

1 Samuel 9-12: Ruining the Harvest?


The Lord was not thrilled that Israel insisted on a human king. God showed His displeasure by sending thunder and rain during the wheat harvest.


1 Samuel 12:17 & 18
Amplified Bible (AMP)

“Is it not wheat harvest today? I will call to the Lord and He will send thunder and rain; then you shall know and see that your wickedness is great which you have done in the sight of the Lord in asking for a king for yourselves.

So Samuel called to the Lord, and He sent thunder and rain that day; and all the people greatly feared the Lord and Samuel.”


I ask myself, “Is there a symbolic application of this action?”

These are my thoughts…



Israel didn’t place their confidence in God’s leadership; they placed their trust in man. It happened to be the wheat harvest season, which symbolizes the harvest of souls.

Rain during harvest time ruins the crop. A quote from a contemporary farmer, Guy Gagen, explains,


“But farmers can’t get on with the job and they are starting to get anxious and frustrated that their crop is ready but they can’t get it in. It is almost impossible to harvest it in the rain. The grain would be all soggy and mushy and would clog up and jam the machines. It will take two days of dry weather to dry it out and then two to three weeks of similar conditions to harvest it. It will probably stand out for another few days, maybe a week” (Bread Prices Could Rise as Rain Hits Wheat).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2591982/Bread-prices-could-rise-as-rain-hits-wheat.html



Knowing that rain disrupts the harvest, and that the people are depending on themselves instead of God, brings me to the conclusion that the harvest of souls today would be detrimentally impacted if we trust in our own strength to get it done. Man using his own strength to get people “saved” uses scare tactics, intimidation, and join the group techniques. I wonder how much “wheat” is ruined when man does things his own way?

What’s awesome is that if we fall into the “our own way” trap, God is waiting to empower and deliver.


1 Samuel 12:20-24
Amplified Bible (AMP)


“And Samuel said to the people, Fear not. You have indeed done all this evil; yet turn not aside from following the Lord, but serve Him with all your heart.

And turn not aside after vain and worthless things which cannot profit or deliver you, for they are empty and futile.

The Lord will not forsake His people for His great name’s sake, for it has pleased Him to make you a people for Himself.

Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by ceasing to pray for you; but I will instruct you in the good and right way.

Only fear the Lord and serve Him faithfully with all your heart; for consider how great are the things He has done for you.”




Thank You, Lord, for not forsaking me when I have done things my own way. Holy Spirit cause me to remember Your greatness. The awesome things You have done for me will be written in my heart forever. I trust You to lead me!

No comments: